Amoebic dysentery is transmitted through contaminated food and water. Amoebae can exist in two forms; the first as free amoebae known as trophozoites, which are relatively harmless, and the other being cysts, which are known to be highly infective. The cysts are particularly resistant to the acid content in the stomach. Therefore, once ingested they move through the digestive system, taking residence in the intestine causing infection. They can be found in human or animal faeces and are easily spread through poor sanitation or hygiene.
Amoebic Dysentery can be caused by careless or negligent hygiene, as well as through contaminated food and drink consumed without adequate heat treatment. Another common cause can be salads being washed in contaminated tap water.
Once again, we see this more frequently where clients have complained about the strong smell of sewage around the hotel. This is often due to untreated sewage waste being used to fertilise the hotel greenery. This process of recycling waste water may save money for the hotel, but in turn results in a huge increase in the reports of sickness, diarrhoea and reported outbreaks of Amoebic Dysentery.
Common symptoms of Amoebic Dysentery can be:
- Stomach cramps
- Painful passing of stool
- Diarrhoea containing blood
Less common symptoms can include:
- Formation of cysts on the liver and other organs
- Weight loss
Onset of illness: 1 – 7 days after contamination
Duration of illness: From a few days to a few weeks, but left untreated the parasite can reside in the gut for years.
It is your tour operator’s responsibility to make sure you are provided with a safe, clean and hygienic hotel.
If you have fallen ill whilst on an all-inclusive holiday get in touch with a member of our team. We have over 10 years industry experience and we will be happy to help you through the process of claiming back the cost of your holiday plus any additional compensation you may be owed.