Suffering from Botulism (Clostridium Botulinum)  is very uncomfortable; it is often characterized by a tingling in the fingers and blurred vision, leading to difficulty breathing. Although it is a rare condition, it can be potentially life threatening.

Botulism can occur from coming into contact with contaminated canned, tinned or bottled food products as well as stagnant soil or mud.  The illness can typically begin 12-36 hours after you have eaten contaminated food and can last for 7-10 days.  However, in rare cases, the illness has been known to last months and even years

Clostridium botulinum has in the present day been remanufactured to produce Botox, which paralyses the nerve endings and when ingested can have the same effect on the body. Paralysis often starts with the eyes and face before moving to the throat, chest and extremities.

Cause of Illness:

A heat-resistant exotoxin produced by the bacteria as they multiply and grow.

Symptoms of Botulism can include:

  • Nausea
  • Diarrhoea
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty swallowing or speaking
  • Dry mouth

Less Common symptoms can include:

  • Facial weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Blurred or double vision
  • Drooping eyelids
  • Breathing issues
  • Paralysis

To avoid the risk of contracting Botulism it is important to follow these guidelines:

  • Avoid foods not cooked thoroughly and/or re-heated incorrectly.
  • Avoid foods not prepared hygienically.
  • Avoid food not stored at the correct temperature.
  • Avoid salads and any uncooked fruits and vegetables (these may have been handled unhygienically)
  • Wash hands before and after meal times and after using toilets and washrooms.
  • Frequently use an alcohol-based hand gel.

Source: Although the bacteria itself is not harmful, it can produce highly poisonous toxins when deprived of oxygen. Examples include contamination of canned, tinned or bottled food products as well as stagnant soil or mud.

Typical Onset period: 12-36 hours after eating contaminated food.

Typical Duration: 1-10 days (symptoms can last months or even years in rare cases).

It is your tour operator’s responsibility to make sure you are provided with a safe, clean and hygienic hotel.

If you have fallen ill whilst on an all-inclusive holiday get in touch with a member of our team.  We have over 10 years industry experience and we will be happy to help you through the process of claiming back the cost of your holiday plus any additional compensation you may be owed.

Let us advise you

01625 253 020

Start your claim

We’re happy to advise you on the phone

Been ill on a holiday in the last 3 years?
Use our claim calculator below.
For security verification, please enter any random two digit number. For example: 37

Want to enquire about your claim?

Live Chat